Looking for a fun activity in Tsitsikamma national park? Look no further! There's nothing more fun than a blackwater tubing day in Storms river. Hop on an inflatable tube and get down the river with your friends while taking photos of the high trees of Tsitsikamma national park.
Why blackwater? Cause the river has the colour of tea! That's right! The river is dark. The grass and the majestic tree leaves falling in the river leave their colour creating this unique river. The Storms river is nonetheless classified as swift water river and on medium to high water level, it offers super fun roller-coaster rides through rapids. Due to the low ph, the water of Storms river is really dark and unable to sustain any aquatic life in it.
The river is 25 km long and the waters origin from the great Tsitsikamma mountains.
You will love the picturesque areas of Plaatbos Nature reserve and Tsitsikamma National Park - it's only by blackwater tubing that you will be able to take a look on these remote places.
You will be riding the specialised inflatable tubes to get down the river. Every person gets his own inflatable tube.
Months with high water levels: (general rainfall months) September, October, November, December March and April.
However the activity runs all year round, provided that there is enough water. Generally it is needed approximately 25-30mm of rain to fall in one day after a dry spell to produce a white water experience.
- A great taste of adventure to live while in Tsitsikamma
- Once past the point of no return, you're into is the 'Narrow Gorge' and the only way out is 4-5 hrs later at the spectacular Storms River Mouth in the world famous Tsitsikamma National Park
- All full day trips require a 800m walk down into the gorge and a steep walk out at the exit.
- 5 hours of rock jumping, pool paddling, bouldering, walks, jumps, along the widest and safest section of the river
- The full day excursion is quite physically demanding
- A good fitness level required
- The full day trip is conducted on the upper section of the Storms River in the Plaatbos Nature Reserve where the river is at its widest and safest.
- An exquisite journey though pristine forest of Tsitsikamma
- A good fitness level is required