10 Best Paragliding Spots in Europe
You have always wanted to try Tandem Paragliding, but you never knew where or when to go? We got your back! Your first flight is the one you will never forget, that’s why choosing the right spot is important. To make your life easier we’ve gathered the 10 Best Paragliding Spots in Europe. Choose from the best only!
The below European destinations offer unique views that must be seen from above! And what better way than discovering them by going tandem paragliding? No prior paragliding experience is needed to do a tandem flight, and you don’t need to be an athlete either. A few energetic steps are enough to glide into the sky and experience the unique sensations of flying. Interlaken, Crete, Lake Garda, Annecy and many more… The choice is yours!
1 – Interlaken in Switzerland
For the first spot on our list, we’re taking you to the Swiss Alps, in a place known for its many outdoor activities: Interlaken. This town is named Interlaken since it is located between two turquoise lakes, Lake Brienz (Brienzersee) and Lake Thun (Thunersee).
With your qualified instructor, take off from one of the mountains surrounding Interlaken for an unforgettable ride! The most common take-off spot is Beatenberg above Lake Thun. During your two-seater paragliding ride, all you have to do is take some quick steps, then sit back and enjoy the view. All around you, you’ll see the Swiss Alps’ Summits like the famous trio of Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau, as well as the Schilthorn!
No matter the season, you can always try Tandem Paragliding in Interlaken and witness amazing views of the mountains of the Bernese Oberland.
Why go Tandem Paragliding in Interlaken?
- Fly above the crystal clear turquoise water of the two Swiss lakes
- See the beautiful Swiss Alps from above
- Discover the town of Interlaken and the ones around it
- Many other activities to try in Interlaken
2 – Annecy in France
Going Tandem Paragliding above Annecy will definitely give you goosebumps. Many paragliding schools allow you to fly in the area, and in most cases, the certified instructors take you to Talloires-Montmin, so you can start your flight from one of its surrounding mountains. From there, you’ll have a view of the lake underneath you, but also of the city of Annecy and its surroundings.
During the winter you can paraglide above the ski resort of La Clusaz and due to the snow, you won’t hear a sound when you’re flying! A unique experience and a perfect occasion to try ski paragliding! If you are not into that, then the best time to go paragliding in Annecy is definitely during the sunny days: from April to October, when the conditions are idyllic. Especially at the end of summer, you can enjoy the view under a warm autumn light.
Why go Paragliding in Annecy?
- There is beautiful scenery, from the lake to the surrounding mountains.
- It is one of the most famous paragliding spots in all Europe.
- There are many paragliding schools in Annecy as well as other outdoor activities to try.
- The city of Annecy is definitely a must-see, and it’s even better from above!
3 – Reykjavik in Iceland
Iceland has a lot to offer! This volcanic island is heaven on earth for nature lovers as you find numerous natural phenomena. So we’re taking you paragliding near Reykjavik, where you can admire the magnificent places, phenomena, and landscapes from the sky! While flying in the Reykjanesfólkvangur National Park, you will get to glide over the hot springs, the rainbow mountains, and all the other secret places shaped by volcanic eruptions and seismic activities.
Another place to try out tandem paragliding is in the south of Iceland, in Vík í Mýrdal, known as Vík. Depending on the weather conditions, you will take off from different places. You’ll see either the Seljalandsfoss waterfall or the unique columns of basalt clinging to the cliffs of the southern coast of Reynisdrangar.
The best time to Tandem Paraglide in Iceland is from April until the beginning of November. After that, the weather isn’t ideal for this sport.
Why go Paragliding in Reykjavík?
- You have a beautiful and diverse landscape to see from the sky.
- Most paragliding schools offer rides that take up the whole day, with few jumps.
- You get to discover natural phenomena you won’t see anywhere else! Plus, at night, you can even see the northern lights!
4 – Lake Garda in Italy
In the North of Italy is where you’ll find one of the best paragliding spots in Europe. Lake Garda is a little over 50 km long, which makes it the largest lake in all of Italy. It is known for its water sports and numerous outdoor activities!
So get ready to glide over the green mountains and the blue water of Lake Garda for 20 to 40 minutes! The usual take-off spot is Mount Pizzocolo, on the southwestern side of the lake near the village of San Michele, where you’ll take off from 1500 m high. After a short briefing, you will be ready to go paragliding in Lake Garda.
The best seasons to try Paragliding in Lake Garda are Spring and Summer!
Why try Tandem Paragliding on Lake Garda?
- You will witness stunning views of the lake and fields of green mountains
- The flight lasts between 20 and 40 minutes
- Great place to visit during Spring or Summer
- Many other outdoor activities to try while near Lake Garda
5 – Crete in Greece
Our next paragliding spot is Chania, located in the North of Crete in Greece. This underrated island is home to beautiful landscapes, from cliffs to sandy beaches with clear water, and it has a rich ancient history. Chania, one of the most famous cities on the island is known for its colourful old town, Venetian harbour, and lighthouse.
Tandem Paragliding in Crete and particularly in Chania is definitely worth a try. There are two main take-off spots, the first one is in Falasarna, where you’ll take off from 250 m, and you might even fly over the beautiful Balos Lagoon (if the weather allows it). The second spot is Varipetro, where you’ll take off at 500 m, and you’ll see the whole city, the Souda Bay and if the thermal winds are on, you can go up to 1000 m high.
Why Tandem Paraglide in Crete in Greece?
- Discover the island and its beautiful scenery from above.
- Lots of different landscapes to see from your paraglide.
- Flights can be long with the right weather conditions
- Many fun and varied activities to try in Crete.
6 – Chamonix in France
Chamonix has been a world-renowned ski resort in France ever since the Olympic Games were held there in 1924, and it is without a doubt one of the best paragliding spots in Europe. While Tandem Paragliding in Chamonix, you will have a great view of the French Alps, Chamonix, and of course, the Mont Blanc (the highest peak in France and of the Alps and one of the highest throughout Europe).
Both in Summer and Winter, you can go paragliding in this epic destination among the highest summits in Europe. In Winter, you can take off from the ski resort, which means you’ll be wearing skis and gliding above the snowy landscapes! And in Summer, you will get to see animals in their natural habitats, valleys filled with green grass and colorful flowers, and lakes.
Why try Tandem Paragliding in Chamonix?
- You can paraglide in Chamonix all year long.
- Take off from some of the highest peaks in France: Plan de l’Aiguille (2300 m), Planpraz (2000 m), the Grands Montets (3300 m), or the most famous and one the Aiguilles du Midi (3700 m).
- You’ll see one of the highest peaks in all Europe from up there.
7 – The Dolomites in Italy
The 7th on the list of the best paragliding spots are the Dolomites. They are a small part of the Alps, and they can go up to 1850 meters high. Located in Northern Italy, they are classified as a World Heritage by UNESCO and are a perfect spot to go paragliding.
If the weather conditions are ideal you can try Tandem Paragliding above Kronplatz or Castelrotto. But if it’s windy, we recommend you take off near Spitzbühl. Since the dolomites cover more than 15 000 square kilometers, you will have a lot to see during your flight.
In the heat of the summer or in the cold winter, paragliding in the Dolomites is possible, the only thing that will change is the scenery.
Why try Tandem Paragliding in the Dolomites?
- It is ideal to go Paragliding during all four seasons.
- Beautiful surroundings, from lakes to mountains, forests, etc.
- Many other activities to try there!
8 – Tenerife in Spain
For Paragliding enthusiasts, the small island of Tenerife is a gem! Located near the coast of Morocco and above the Sahara Desert, this Canary Island will let you have a great view while paragliding.
No matter where your take-off spot is, you will have a breathtaking view of the sandy beaches and the Ocean. But depending on your take-off spot, you will see different places like Las Palmas or Teide Park. Paragliding in Costa Adeje however is the most popular spot to try this activity on the island. If the weather is optimal, your instructor might even allow you to control the paraglide for a little while!
Why try Tandem Paragliding in Tenerife?
- You can Paraglide on the Canary Islands all year long.
- There are many take-off spots with a different view each time.
- You might even get to control the paraglide if the weather allows it!
- Try out many other activities during your stay.
9 – Kefalonia in Greece
Paragliding is all about stunning views and Kefalonia is therefore definitely one of the best paragliding spots in Europe. Thanks to the crystal clear waters of the Ionian Sea, the white sandy beaches, and the biodiversity, you will have a great time wandering above the island.
While Tandem Paragliding in Kefalonia, you will take off from one of the most beautiful beaches in the world: Myrtos Beach, located in the northwest of the island. After a short briefing from your instructors, you will be completely ready to go on a 10 to 25-minute ride of pure fun and relaxation, with a stunning view of course.
Why try Tandem Paragliding in Kefalonia?
- Fly over one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
- You will have a view of the whole beach and the crystal-clear water.
- There are different types of landscapes surrounding you.
- An important historical background, so lots of visiting when you’re there.
- You can paraglide there all year long.
10 – Funchal in Portugal
The last spot on our list of the 10 best paragliding spots in Europe is Funchal, located on Madeira Island in Portugal. This city is known for its wine, and gastronomy but also for its beautiful landscapes. Being the perfect mix between going to the mountain and being on an island, you will definitely enjoy Paragliding in Funchal.
To try out paragliding in Funchal, you will start with a briefing where the instructors will tell you all you need to know, including where you’ll take off (6 different options). Generally, the flight will take you around 15 to 40 minutes. Paragliding in Funchal is great for first-timers, and you can try it out all year long!
Why try Tandem Paragliding in Funchal?
- Varied Landscapes: Splendid views of the sea, mountains, and gardens.
- Different take-off spots with different views.
- Great for those wanting to paraglide for the first time.
- Many other activities to try in Funchal.
Now that you know all about the 10 best paragliding spots in Europe, it’s up to you to choose your perfect spot! Not that easy, right? Whichever spot you go for, we assure you they are all great for first-timers and will leave you with unforgettable memories of the place.
There are chances you’ll come back for more! In the meantime, here is our Complete Guide for Tandem Paragliding to get you ready for your flight. And if among the 10 spots above your all-time favourite destination in Europe is not there, just have a look at all our Tandem Paragliding flights.